Monday, April 10, 2006

Christmas With A View













I have a photo of my dad in hospital on Christmas Day. He's quite considerate of our time saying, "You don't need to come and see me tomorrow (on Christmas Day), you'll be busy". As if! He can be quietly funny and good humoured. He agreeably donned the reindeer antlers and Santa Claus hat so he could be photographed for the family album (of which there is none).

I have an admiration for his patience and persistence while in that hospital room...7 months, same bed, same room, same view (at least it was a good one), a model patient...except for when he wasn't.

There was not a lot to say. Each visit consisted of an awkward conversation - awkward on my behalf as I struggled to find the right words in my very limited Cantonese vocabulary. He didn't mind if we talked or not - he just liked the fact we bothered to come, and loved seeing the kids.

He's now in a nursing home...not so thrilled to be there...probably not the model patient as he was. He'll still be happy to see us though.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I love your stories Heather.
Hooray for the photos!
I'll keep checking in and reading more.
Love Jenny
xxx